Thursday, June 30, 2016

LUCKY 13


Publisher- Anchor Group Publishing
Pub. Date- June 7, 2016
Genre- YA Contemporary
Rating- 3.5
Source- E-book from author 


Blurb:
Most people have a fear of the number thirteen. Be it superstition or otherwise, they believe it to be unlucky. For Madison and Grant, a chance encounter, and the number thirteen, sets in motion a series of events that forever changes their paths.

Madison Thompson: I’m a military brat. I’ve lived in more cities and on more bases than I can count. Friends? I’ve had plenty over the years. But those have come and gone as often has I have. I’m about to be a senior in high school… my fifth high school in the last four years. This time, it’s going to be different. My father says were here to stay. The question is… for how long?

Grant Fisher: One more year. Then, I can leave this town and move on to bigger and better things. Small town life isn't for me. I want to travel the world and live in a city big enough that not everyone knows my name. There are plenty of reasons that I want to leave but only one that makes me want to stay.
 

Review:
I'm very up on the fence about this one. On one hand I liked the premise of the story and the characters that came along with it. But on the other hand, things were at times slow, predictable, and unsatisfying. This is supposed to be a sweet book about children who fall in love one summer and then find each other again years later. Then an accident happened that caused Madison to lose weeks of the summer she had spent with Grant. 

Sounds wonderful. It was but there were still a few issues I had. Such as the storyline involving Madison's father. I felt that both parties needed to give in, in some way. I get her father is trying to be good and protect his daughter but we see how well that did. I'm not saying what Madison did was okay, but I think her father needed to lighten the hell up. Literally. 

The love between Madison and Grant was sweet at best and at times I really felt the chemistry. But I just find it so hard to believe a boy would wait that long and never have a girlfriend because he was waiting for be girl he already met. It's just not realistic to me. Could it happen? I'm sure it has. But I still couldn't get on board with the fact that Grant had never even kissed a girl before Madison. 

That's the part that I felt really unsatisfied about. And before you bring out the pitch forks, I get reading isn't always about being realistic. Hell, I read and love paranormal romance! But when it blatantly involves a teenage boy who doesn't act upon certain urges, it's hard for me to believe. 

The story is still very engaging aside from some of the minor issues I had. Would I recommend this? Absolutely! It's
a cute story and I think the majority of readers will like it. I'm just a picky person ha-ha. Overall, if you're looking for something to love or to find a new book boyfriend, I don't think you'll be disappointed. 

*Thank you to the author or providing a copy for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own. 

Buy the Book!


Know the author!
Rachael Brownell was born and raised in Kalamazoo, Michigan, where she currently resides with her boyfriend and son. She is a graduate of Grand Valley State University where she studied Advertising and Public Relations.

When she’s not working, building Lego’s or writing her next book, Rachael enjoys scrapbooking, photography, is learning to golf and is an avid reader.

To be the first to know about where Rachael will be signing, read passages from her upcoming releases and sign up to read ARC copies, make sure you subscribe to her newsletter.

Website

Twitter

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Lovely Books. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE CREATED BY pipdig