Monday, September 9, 2013

Review: Burning Bridges by @nadegerichards


Summary:
Do or Die...

In a world that has been divided amongst the Hunter race and the Warrior, prisoners who have fallen prey to King Cyrus' decrees are forced into the arena to fight until death. Winner is granted mercy and privilege to see another sunrise. Death unto the weak. In an attempt to get back at everyone who has ever shut her out, seventeen year-old Princess Echo becomes another victim, dragging Ayden, her forbidden love, along in a race to freedom, to find out who she really is, and to put a world that has been swallowed by lies back together again.

In the first installment of The Bleeding Heart Trilogy, life becomes a dangerous game of kill or be killed, love or let go. When death threatens the forbidden love of an unlikely couple and they are forced to do the unthinkable, to what extent will they go to be together?

My Review:



3.5 Stars

"This is love. This is your life, Echo. Own it. Start over. Fight."

Echo is born into privilege and is the country's future queen. She is sarcastic and funny and wants to be a warrior but her place in the kingdom is strictly queen. All she wishes to be is free. 

Ayden is from the other side of the tracks. He is poor and works multiple jobs just to make ends meet for his family. Life has always been hard on him and to make matters worse, his mother is ill and his father is a drunk. 

"There is only so much time I have on this world; I do not want to spend it alone if I can spend it happily with you."

This is a story about forbidden love; very much like Romeo and Juliet. Destined to be together but both from different worlds. 

I thought the story started off very strong. I loved how it opened up to us as an audience. It had me intrigued and quite excited. I adore forbidden romances, they're deliciously fun! 

For awhile the story dragged and I felt as if nothing was happening. Or some things would happen so fast that it felt unrealistic.

The romance between Ayden and Echo for instance. I am all for insta-love. But I felt that in Burning Bridges, the main characters didn't have the time to fall in love the way they did. It didn't feel genuine. Which is weird because in chapter one, the opening scene, their love was what hooked me. I guess I would have liked to have more of a build up to the relationship. More forbidden. But everyone knew about them. 

Aside from that, I did very much enjoy the book. Echo is a strong willed and "doesn't take no crap from nobody" kind of girl. At times she could be very whiny and annoying. But I think it's just her being an immature teenager. 

"If I could, I would knock down every border that dared stand in my way of getting to you everyday."

I think Ayden is positively dreamy. His loyalty and love for his family is what makes him such a great guy. And his eyes. His eyes which are violet! Ah I love it! 

Burning Bridges is an action packed book filled with forbidden romance, betrayal, and some twists that will drop your jaw. 

I can't wait to read the next one and to see what kind of journey is in store for Ayden and Echo. 

*revew copy given to me by author for honest review*
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Lovely Books. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE CREATED BY pipdig