Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Where is my Christian Grey? @e_l_james

Fifty Shades of Grey Review

I am sure you have all heard all the buzz about the book that is considered the "Twilight" for adults. While I did love Fifty Shades of Grey, I don't like that it is compared to twilight. Of course, the story is based off Twilight fan fiction. Granted it's no vampire story, it is simply based on Edward and Bella's relationship plus some other stuff that makes it somewhat comparable to Twilight. Christian is beautiful, powerful, controlling, and possessive. So in a way I can see a little bit of Edward Cullen in the now infamous Christian Grey. The billionaire heart throb who is in to BDSM. And for those who have no idea what that term even means, here is the wikipedia definition  of it:

BDSM is an erotic preference and a form of personal relationship involving the consensual use of restraint, intense sensory stimulation, and fantasy power role play. The compound initialism BDSM is derived from the terms bondage and discipline (B&D or B/D), dominance and submission (D&S or D/s), and sadism and masochism (S&M or S/M). BDSM includes a wide spectrum of activities, forms of interpersonal relationships, and distinct subcultures.

Are you as freaked out as I was? Well don't be! I was so scared of reading the book because let's face it, it's not exactly my cup of tea if you know what I mean. But my curiosity got the better of me from all the positive reviews it had been receiving. So about a month or two ago I finally caved in and bought it. At the time Barnes and Noble didn't have the books, so I had to by it straight from the publishers. I am mighty glad I did too.
Review time!



Goodreads Blurb:
When literature student Anastasia Steele is drafted to interview the successful young entrepreneur Christian Grey for her campus magazine, she finds him attractive, enigmatic and intimidating. Convinced their meeting went badly, she tries to put Grey out of her mind - until he happens to turn up at the out-of-town hardware store where she works part-time.

The unworldly, innocent Ana is shocked to realize she wants this man, and when he warns her to keep her distance it only makes her more desperate to get close to him. Unable to resist Ana’s quiet beauty, wit, and independent spirit, Grey admits he wants her - but on his own terms. 

Shocked yet thrilled by Grey's singular erotic tastes, Ana hesitates. For all the trappings of success – his multinational businesses, his vast wealth, his loving adoptive family – Grey is man tormented by demons and consumed by the need to control. When the couple embarks on a passionate, physical and daring affair, Ana learns more about her own dark desires, as well as the Christian Grey hidden away from public scrutiny.

Can their relationship transcend physical passion? Will Ana find it in herself to submit to the self-indulgent Master? And if she does, will she still love what she finds?

Erotic, amusing, and deeply moving, the Fifty Shades Trilogy is a tale that will obsess you, possess you, and stay with you forever.

My Thoughts:
As you can tell from my little introduction from above, I did very much enjoy the story. Despite the fact that it is in fact an Erotica book. I mainly read Young Adult fiction, so this is definitely out of box of comforting stories that make me feel good. It made me feel good in a different way though, as many women may come to find.

Ana is your typical college good girl who helps out her best friend to interview a hot shot business man. Aka Christian Grey. When she meets him, she becomes flustered and blushes an awful lot. Very much like Bella. I do not know whether or not to call it annoying or what, but Ana got on my nerves because she flushed way too much. So her and Christian meet and instantly you can feel the chemistry between the two and I forgive her just a little for blushing every page of the book.

When we finally see what Christian is all about, my mouth just drops open in awe...or maybe I am
more freaked out than anything. Ana is one brave girl, because I would have left screaming for the hills if someone wanted me to be their submissive. No thank you! But as many of you have probably read/heard, this is a ROMANCE novel. Yes you heard me, romance! Okay, you can swoon now.


Christian Grey is the man every girl is talking and dreaming about. You want my honest opinion? I would not want a man who was anything like Christian. He has some serious issues...many that I have already stated, possessive, controlling, etc. I would not want a man like that. He is beautiful and he has money growing out of his butt! But to me that is not enough. Will my opinion change after I learn more about him and once I read the second book? Well I have read the second book and I will not tell you if my opinion has changed for the better until the next review comes out. But Christian Grey is everything the book says, all fifty shades.

"Sometimes I wonder if there's something wrong with me. Perhaps I've spent too long in the company of my literary romantic heroes, and consequently my ideals and expectations are far too high." -Ana

I love this quote. I spend far too much time wishing and praying I can find a guy just like the ones I read about. As well as many of my fellow readers/blogger/authors. My mind knows exactly what it wants, the problem is finding that perfect man. And then realizing that there is no such thing. It is still fun to fantasize about book boys such as Edward, Christian, Jace (The Mortal Instruments), and Will (The Infernal Devices).

So what I am really trying to say is that that is what The Fiftys trilogy is all about. Fantasy. Let loose and go check it out:)
SHARE:

4 comments

  1. I am soo glad I read this review. I have heard great things about these books but I was a little nervous even though I have read some adult books. Now i am definitely going to pick them up. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. Still unsure about this one. Being submissive is against my nature so I don.t know if I could let go and really just read this without judgement.
    Thanks,
    laura thomas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree 100% with you Laura, it is against my nature too. But trust me the book isn't as bad as it sounds. I was surprised. If you ever do check it out, let me know!

      Delete

© The Lovely Books. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE CREATED BY pipdig