Saturday, January 21, 2012

Interview with Tiffany Heiser author of Bonded with Love



Is a writer living in Fort Worth, Tx- with her Husband and two crazy dogs. She has been writing most of her life-short stories, and poetry. But she has always enjoyed reading young adult fiction and the amazing places it can take you. It has been her dream to one day be published. Her dream was accomplished with Bonded With Love as her debut novel.


1. Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?
I was born on Fort Hood but raised in Granbury, Texas- a small town southwest of Fort Worth. I am an only child, but not a spoiled brat- well in my opinion. I recently got married in October of 2011 and it was the best day of my life. I absolutely love my husband, he is my best friend.

I have two dogs- a spazzy tan corgi and a very chilled black doxiepoo (half dachshund and half mini poodle).

I'm a coffee addict, but it seems that it comes with the territory of being an author :) I also love rainy days- it helps with the inspiration for writing but it also inspires lazy days :D


2. What do you do when you are not writing?
I love to read! So in my off time or when I'm not busy I will be reading. I love spending time with my puppies- taking them for walks or just cuddling with them.

My husband and I have a daily ritual of curling up on the couch and watching our fave TV shows after work and I look forward to that time to spend with him. I enjoy getting to go over to visit our families and having quality time with them. Oh and I'm a huge pro football fan- Cowboys fan actually...I know I know don't remind me how that season ended :(


3. Do you have a day job as well?
I do. I work full-time for a bank as a teller. I have been in the banking business for ten years. I enjoy it, but I Love writing more :)


4. When did you first start writing and when did you finish your first book?
I have been writing the majority of my life. When I was a young kid, I started writing poems. It helped me free any emotions that I didn't know how to express. I filled up a couple large notebooks of poems throughout the years.

5. When I was in middle school my vivid dreams put ideas in my head about exciting stories that could be written-of course then my writing needed a lot of help, but I knew one day I would write a full novel.

I finished Bonded With Love in April of 2011. That was one of the most exciting days of my life. To know that I had accomplished one of my major goals in life.


6. How did you choose the genre you write in?
I have always been into vampires and the paranormal. I would read R.L. Stine and Stephen King as a kid, but about four years ago I read the Twilight saga (twice) and found myself in love with reading books in a series (The majority of the full novels I write will be a series.). And absolutely adore paranormal romances even more after reading that series. So I tend to stick to that genre when reading and definitely will stay in that genre when I write.


7. Where do you get your ideas?
Dreams. I had a dream about Rena and the gang. I've recently had two more vivid dreams about two new series that I want to start on. My mind is wild with imagination especially while sleeping and most of my dreams I can remember colors and smells and noises so much that I can still remember each dream I've had about my books.


8. Do you ever experience writer’s block?
I haven't as of yet. I have moments when ideas aren't flowing through me, but then I move onto a different writing task and keep my mind focused on something.


9. Do you work with an outline, or just write?
Funny thing. When I first sat down knowing that I was going to write Bonded With Love, I grabbed a notebook and created my outline. Once I finished that I started writing. By the end of the first page my outline was no use anymore. Rena and the gang knew how they wanted their story to be told and it wasn't anywhere near where I thought it would go. ;)


10. Is there any particular author or book that influenced you in any way either growing up or as an adult?
Stephenie Meyer brought me back to my reading addiction. I had lost it thanks to high school and then college. But she reminded me how much fun reading is and thus brought back my imagination.


There are other authors who I look up to and they have also influenced me.

Richelle Mead, Melissa Marr, Rachel Caine.


11. Can you tell us about your challenges in getting your first book published?
There were a few. Querying was one. I would get responses back about the topic and genre I was writing in. The last one I received was from an agent that said that vampires had been blacklisted and my genre is too full.

With that comment it was as if she was telling me that it would be nearly impossible to get published. And so I decided in that moment that I would self-publish and prove to whoever and to myself that I could do this on my own. There are so many options nowadays that make the process-not easy- but possible. So I looked into self-pub, asked questions, and found my way.


12. Would you change anything?

Not at all. I have learned so much in the couple of years that I have been part of the writing, editing, and publishing world. My eyes have been opened wider and every part of it was bringing my dreams to life. It has been a dream come true.


13. How do you market your work?
I'm always on Twitter, Facebook, and Bookrix.

I love meeting new people and other writers like me! :)

Twitter has been amazing and given me the ability to not only get the word out there about my books but helped me make new friends.


Have you written a book you love that you have not been able to get published?

No, actually I haven't. Bonded was the first book that I wrote from beginning to end. I'm sure it'll happen eventually though.


14. Can you tell us about your upcoming book?

Right now my mind is on over-drive. I have four separate book ideas going on, but I'm currently working on Book 2 of the With Love series Struggled With Love due out in August/September. I don't really want to say much for those who haven't read the first one...except book 2 will definitely be crossing lines and boundaries -especially as Rena's powers blossom.


15. Is anything in your book based on real life experiences or purely all imagination?
The plot is purely imagination. However, the main characters are based on people I know. Friends or family. The friendship between Rena and Cecile reminds me at times, throughout the book, of my own friendship with my best friend.


16. What was your favorite chapter (or part) to write and why?
I enjoyed writing the beginning because I loved finding out who my characters were and how they would act. I loved learning their personalities that was exciting and made it easy to write.


But I also enjoyed the ending. Seeing how Rena had grown, how close her and Cryder had gotten, but especially the final scene between Rena and Bristol. The power that brewed in that scene pulled me in and I wrote that whole last chapter in a day because I couldn't put my pen down. It was a big strong part of the book.


17. How did you come up with the title?

I had help from friends. I knew I wanted something that I could continue with each book. So I knew I wanted it to be the With Love series, but I had many options for the first word of the title- one of my best friends came up with Bonded, and I fell in love with it instantly.


18. What project are you working on now?
I have multiple projects that have a small portion written- An angel series, a demigod series, and one new vampire book have been started.

But I am currently putting all of my focus on working on finishing the first draft of Book 2 of the With Love series Struggled With Love.


19. Will you have a new book coming out soon?
I should have 1 or 2 short stories out before summer as part of the With Love series.

And Book 2 will be out in August/September of 2012.
Are there certain characters you would like to go back to, or is there a theme or idea you’d love to work with?
I'd love to come up with a book about Wicca and witchcraft. It completely fascinates me...but the plot hasn't come to me yet. Maybe one day.


20. What has been the toughest criticism given to you as an author?
I've been told I wasn't ready, that I should have waited before I published the book. That I still had a lot to learn.

It's true, I have a lot to learn about everything in life-we all do. But to say I wasn't ready...I didn't feel that way at all. I felt very ready. When I received the response to my query about vampires being blacklisted and that paranormal romance was to full for someone new, it brought the need and want to be published to the service.


21. What has been the best compliment?
The best compliment to get is someone who hasn't read in years started reading again and it was thanks to my book.

Or friends of mine who have been trying to get published for years are inspired by the fact that I self-pubbed, and they decided to do the same for themselves.

One of my writer friends, James Hussel, actually just self-published his first novel this past week and I'm so excited for him!


Funny Story:

I received a phone call one day from my grandma that she had stayed in bed all day reading MY book and loved it- this is from a woman that hadn't read in probably over 10 years. And she spent an entire day reading mine and actually loved it-which made my year!

On a side note: She also told me I needed to get the new one out soon or she would have a heart attack. :/


22. Do you have any advice to give to aspiring writers?
Never give up. You can do absolutely anything you put your mind to. And if someone tells you that you can't, they're lying. Don't lose faith in yourself or your ability.


My fave quote:

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."- Winston Churchill


23. Is there anything that you would like to say to your readers and fans?
Thank you for everything! Thank you for taking time out of your day to read my books! I adore you all and appreciate you for simply cracking open something I've written. I can't express how much that means to me and it's something that will never be forgotten.
 Bonded With Love By Tiffany Heiser



Me***
I think it is so cool that Tiffany lives in Texas right around the corner from me! Although I do not care too much for the Cowboys..hehehe. My review of Bonded with Love will be up and ready for tomorrow! Stay tuned:)
Thank You Tiffany for the wonderful interview, I look forward the next book in the Bonded with Love Series.
Twitter:@Tiffany_Heiser
Blog-http://tiffanyheiser.blogspot.com/

Meeting Destiny Giveaway by Nancy Straight & Bewitching by Alex Flinn giveaways going on, on my blog as we speak! Make sure you go signup for them asap!!!
SHARE:

1 comment

  1. Great interview! New follower :)

    Books Ahoy
    www.books-ahoy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

© The Lovely Books. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE CREATED BY pipdig